What is geogrid and what are its applications?
Geogrid is a geosynthetic material used as a booster in construction works.
Geogrids can be classified as geosynthetic materials that are used in the construction industry in the form of a reinforcing material. It is also used in strengthening retaining walls and even many of the applications of these materials are flourishing.
The high demand and application in construction is because it is excellent in terms of stress and has a higher ability to load distribution of a large area.
The origin of geogrids and its construction
Geosynthetic material, geogrids, are polymer products that are formed using intersection networks.
These networks are formed by material gears, which are crossed in two directions: one in the direction of the device, which is carried out in the direction of the production process. The other direction is perpendicular to the gears of the device, which is called the cross direction of the device.
The shape of geogrid gear in the direction of machinery and crossover production stages form matrix structural materials. Outdoor space is said to be due to the intersection of perpendicular gears on the apertures. This diaphragm is based on the long and transverse order of the ribs between 2.5 and 15 cm.
Among different types of geotextiles, geogrids are considered harder. In the case of geogrids, resistance at the junction is more important because they are repeatedly transmitted through adjacent gears through these connections.
Gear shape of geogrids in the direction of machinery and cross production stages
Method -1: Extruding
This method of making geogrids involves extrusion of a flat plate of plastic to the desired configuration.
Method -2: Knitting
In this method, the manufacture of geogrids, polyester or single polypropylene yarns, knitting is done to create flexible diaphragm forming connections. These materials have high resistance to give geogrid the desired and final properties.
Method -3: With welding and extrusion
This method involves extrusion of flat polyester or polypropylene gears by passing them through rollers. These are done in automatic machines that work at different speeds. Makes it possible to increase their gears and tenacity.
Geogrids Functions and Functions
Geogrids perform the function of keeping or recording materials side by side. This method helps to join the grinders in ground work that is mechanically stabilized. Their diaphragm helps in the togetherness of the materials or the soil on which they are located.
Geogrids, as mentioned above, contribute to the redistribution of load in a wider area. This performance has made sidewalk construction entrenched and stronger. These mechanisms have the following functions for use in the construction of the road:
The stress of this mechanism is based on the concept of vertical pressure distribution. This is the vertical stress of the deformed membrane shape. This mechanism was initially considered as the main mechanism. But subsequent studies showed that lateral inhibition mechanism is the most important criterion that needs to be considered.
Improving tolerance capacity
One of the main mechanisms performed after installing geogrid in the rocic is reducing the lateral movement of the whole slerated. This eliminates the pressure.
This mechanism therefore improves the layer tolerance capacity. Reducing external pressures means creating internal pressures, which is the reason for the increase in its tolerance capacity.
Lateral limiting capability
The stresses resulting from wheel loads, which cause the lateral movement of materials, in turn affect the total stability of asphalt.
Types of Geogrids
Based on the production process involved in geogrids, one of these can be:
- Applications in Construction
- Applications in the construction of retaining walls
Its use in the construction of retaining walls in the area of the courtyard is earthy. Keeping the soil side by side will help in making the wall stable. By strengthening it by this device, the structural integrity of the soil can be increased.
It helps to stay behind as well as in load distribution. Geogrids solve problems using software or steep terrain.
Increasing their length will help increase structural mass. This helps build taller walls. The concept means that geogrids make the whole unit behave as a single mass.
The minimum height from the onset of its degradation depends on the type of soil. The amount of pressure to the wall depends on the return part and other factors.
The construction of a geogrid reinforced retaining wall achieves the following features:
- The important property of the geogrid system is its flexibility. Compared to traditional constructions that are much tighter in nature, the retaining wall with its system is more compatible with foundation deformation.
- This construction could be more economical compared to the traditional method. Landfill can get steeper, indicating cost reductions. Higher height in the wall and strength are created with the help of the reinforced soil system.
- The geogrid arrangement of the processor has deforestation properties. It brings environmental benefits, which is an important parameter in sustainable construction. The construction of its retaining wall ensures quality and reduces the cost of construction. This helps build fast and comfortable.
- Over time, the walls are strengthened and its benefits have increased demand in construction of highways, railways, dams, ports, urbanization and environmentally-focused projects.
Applications of Geogrids in Soil Foundation
Geogrids can be used to stabilize the soil beneath the base mainly at a shallow base. Know that the failure modes in the reinforced soil infrastructure must be understood.
Geogrid applications in the construction of beautification
Its construction in the construction of the beautification has the following features:
- Infrastructure improvement: The infrastructure, which has the most important impact on load tolerance, is constructed by strong and robust geogrids. Using this method, the soft sub-problem can be solved.
- Reinforcement of the rooning base: The thickness of the base increases the hardness of the base if it increases. But the increase in thickness is not incredibly economic. The armature is marked to a base layer that tightens in sufficient amounts and helps reduce the thickness and time of construction. This also helps to extend the life of the beautification.
Advantages of Geogrids in Construction
- Ease of construction: It can be installed in any weather conditions.
- Strengthens soil consolidation.
- Soil mass is obtained with higher strength.
- Greater load bearing capacity
- This is a convenient way to keep soil from erosion.
- There is no need for mortar.
- There is nothing wrong with the availability of materials.
- It's flexible in nature. They are known for their versatility. Geogrids have high durability that reduces maintenance costs. They are very resistant to environmental impacts.
- Materials are tested according to standard codes and regulations.